Sunday, November 4, 2012

Updates, a Bit about a Storm and Other Ramblings (Also Dog Pic)

So we made it through Hurricane Sandy relatively unscathed. We lost power Monday night, but were only out for seventy-four hours and had gas to run the generator long enough to keep both our and my grandparents' fridge and freezer going until it came back up. Other than that, we were cold, but incredibly lucky, just a few trees down. Of course on the other hand, my dad has had the week off because his employers still don't have power and may not next week. Lots of our neighbors are still without power, and are likely to be for sometime. My thoughts and sympathies remain with those who bore the brunt of the storm.

Anyway, my newest review went up on The Crow's Caw Monday. I reviewed Robert Shearman's collection, Remember Why You Fear Me.

Also, last week I became a slush reader for (Hugo Award-winning) Electric Velocipede! Though Sandy kept me from it for three days, I made up for it yesterday, and I'm enjoying the experience. If you have a genre-bending, literary-minded story, consider submitting!

If you feel like reading some seriously good fiction, Damien Walters Grintalis has had two really good stories out recently They Make of You a Monster on Beneath Ceaseless Skies and A Handful of Glass, a Sky without Stars on Daily Science Fiction. Go check them out. I highly recommend both.

I spent most of our period without electricity with my nose in a book, devouring Christopher Hitchens's (rather lengthy) memoir Hitch-22 and most of Panorama City by Antoine Wilson. (I might add, the battery on my Nook Color held up very nicely; I read Hitch-22 (hardback) by daylight and Panorama City (ebook) after dark and the Nook retains a third of its charge.) I'll probably post a review of Panorama City here sometime next week. Hitch's memoir is witty (I laughed out loud a couple of times) and erudite, and gives a remarkable view of a remarkable man. Hitchens lived a full life, and his packed-to-the-gills book only covers a fraction of it.

I did actually remember to charge the battery for the camera before the storm hit, and then promptly forgot to take any storm-related pictures. Not that there was much interesting in our neck of the woods, except downed trees and power lines, which mostly look the same anyway. So, here is an picture of my dog being silly in the snow, from a few winters ago, to compensate for my neglect.


No comments:

Post a Comment